The U.S. federal government is offering a clean vehicle tax credit to help promote the purchase of electric vehicles as an effort to reduce carbon emissions. The clean vehicle tax credit of up $7,500 depends on several factors. Here are some details on what is needed to qualify for the tax credit. Consult the Internal Revenue Service or your tax professional for more details.
Your electric vehicle purchase must:
- be for your own use and not for resale
- must be your primary vehicle
Your gross income (AGI) must not exceed the following:
- $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
- $225,000 for heads of households
- $150,000 for all other filers
Qualified Electric Vehicle Requirments
- Must have a battery capacity of at least 7 kilowatt hours
- Weigh less than 14,000 pounds
- Must be made by an approved electric vehicle manufacturer.
- The final assembly of the electric vehicle must take place in North America
The purchase of the electric vehicle must meet the following:
- Purchase a new electric vehicle.
- The seller reports must report the required information to you and the Internal Revenue Service at the time of the sale.
- Furthermore, the seller will need to report your name and taxpayer identification number ( to the Internal Revenue Service for you to qualify for the tax credit.
The electric vehicle’s Manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) cannot be over
- $80,000 for SUVs and pickup trucks
- $55,000 for sedans, hatchbacks, and coupes
To determine if the electric vehicle you are purchasing is Made in North America, use a VIN decoder. Below is a list of qualified electric vehicles. Please follow the guidelines listed above and use your VIN decoder to make sure you meet all the criteria for the clean vehicle tax credit.
Electric Cars Eligible for the Clean Vehicle Tax Credit
2023 Cadillac LYRIQ RWD
2023 Chevrolet Bold EV 1LT
2023 Chevrolet Bold EV 2LT
2023 Chevrolet Bold EUV 1LT
2023 Chevrolet Bold EUV Premier
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E California Route 1
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range AWD
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Standard Range AWD
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Standard Range RWD
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E Select Standard Range AWD
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E Select Standard Range RWD
2023 Nissan Leaf S
2023 Nissan Leaf SV Plus
2023 Rivian R1S Dual Motor AWD Standard Pack
2023 Rivian R1T Dual Motor AWD Standard Pack
2023 Tesla Model 3
2023 Tesla Model Performance
2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range
2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range Seven Seats
2023 Tesla Model Y Performance
2023 Volkswagen ID.4 AWD Pro
2023 Volkswagen ID.4 Standard
2023 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro S
2023 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro
2023 Volkswagen ID.4 AWD Pro S
To learn more about electric cars eligible for the vehicle vehicle tax credit and how they can save you time, money, and the environment, check out Electric Driver.